pets getting ill from indoor air quality | Volunteer Mold and Indoor Air Quality
About | FAQ | Blog
Call Now! 865-385-0170
Call Now! 865-385-0170

Can Your Pets Can Get Sick and Die From Mold?

We frequently perform Indoor Air Quality and Mold Inspections where both the family and pets they  love are quite ill.

Dog and Cat lying together on sofa.

Pets can easily get ill from toxic mold and other indoor air pollutants.

While molds are key parts of many natural ecosystems, some types pose a serious health risk for animals.  Volunteer Mold and Indoor Air Quality Services located in Knoxville Tennessee has made its mission “to quickly, professionally and confidentially provide a wide variety of solutions based, high quality environmental inspections.”

Keep your cat and dogs away from moldy food and environments.

Toxic Black Mold
Toxic black mold (Stachybotrys) is a dangerous mold. This fungus grows in dark, moist areas of the home and is particularly common in humid climates like Tennessee. Recently flooded houses or homes with high humidity and poor air circulation have been known to harbor unseen black mold growth inside walls and floors, according to

Inhaling black mold spores often leads to life-threatening breathing and heart, lung and joint problems in humans.

Dogs and Cats exposed to the spores may suffer from pulmonary hemorrhage, a deadly condition characterized by heavy bleeding in the animal’s lungs. Take your pet to the vet immediately if their coughs are frequent or produce blood.

Toxic black mold isn’t the only fungus that can infect your pet. A group of molds from the genus Aspergillus are also potential parasites that thrive inside your pet’s body.

Your pet can become ill after inhaling airborne and surface spores released by mold colonies. Aspergillus occurs both inside the home and in outdoor environments. It can also contaminate food, so keep your pets away from trash containing spoiled meat, vegetables and dairy.

While healthy adult pets are rarely infected by the fungus younger or older animals with chronic immune conditions have a much higher risk of getting sick after exposure to spores.

Runny nasal discharge, bodily weakness and labored breathing are all signs that Aspergillus has infiltrated your kitty’s lungs and sinuses.

Sneezing, runny eyes and other symptoms of allergies and quite possibly a sign that mold is the reason they are ill. Mold is one of several common environmental allergens. Exposure to mold spores causes lingering symptoms in susceptible pets. Like their owners some pets are particularly susceptible and may have a severe reaction in a matter of seconds.

Take your pet to the vet immediately if she’s breathing heavily or has trouble standing up. If the vet rules out viral infections and other common allergens, he may identify mold as the cause.

Have your home tested for mold and contact a professional to have the affected material cleaned or replaced.


Mold certainly makes food smell and taste bad, but it can can also turn it into a deadly poison. Some molds release chemicals called mycotoxins, which don’t mesh well with your pet’s stomach.

If your pet starts having muscle spasms or body tremors, take him to the vet or animal hospital as soon as possible. Convulsions and other life-threatening symptoms can develop as the mycotoxins poison your cat or dogs’s body.

Nontoxic Molds

While mold growth in your home or business isn’t a good thing, don’t start panicking after finding a few spots behind the fridge.

Only a few of mold species are toxic to people and pets. Most of the more than 100,000 types of mold aren’t particularly dangerous to pets and people. However, the underlining conditions that foster any type of mold or biological growths in a building are of great concern to every pet lover.

Volunteer Mold and indoor Air Quality in Knoxville, TN reminds the public that mold clean up is rarely a “Do It Yourself” type project and can lead to worsening conditions.

Bob at Volunteer Inspections visits the mold lab and enjoys a selfie with weird piece of equipment.

Bob Byrne, General Manager of Volunteer Mold and Indoor Air Quality, visits Assured Bio Labs.

In Knoxville Tennessee, the premier testing and consulting company, Volunteer Mold and Indoor Air Quality offers air quality testing services and detailed inspections of buildings to identify hazardous mold spores and other toxins in your home or business.

You love your pets and we love our customers. Call us today to schedule an inspection of your home and discuss any concerns you may have regarding environmental conditions indoors.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.