Rotten Pumpkins – Mold Food
Wednesday, October 28th, 2015 | Categories: Toxic Mold,Indoor Air Quality | No Comments
Holy Rotting Pumpkins Charlie Brown
As a general rule, rotting any thing, inside a home is a very bad idea.
For children and adults with mold allergies it’s can be a toxic combination.
Yet, a few weeks prior to Halloween, we march off to the ole’ pumpkin patch, sipping our pumpkin flavored latte and chewing on pumpkin spice bread to find the coolest pumpkin from among the thousands.
Choosing the perfect pumpkin can be easy:
- Choose one with smooth uniform colored skin.
- Thump on the pumpkin. A ripe one will sound hollow and rot faster than a solid firm one that sounds solid.
- Look for bruising. If it’s bruised it is likely decaying at a rapid rate. Avoid bruised pumpkins.
Prevent or reduce the likelihood of premature pumpkin rotting:
Warning: Do not let children (and a few adults I know) do the following.
Bleach is a dangerous chemical and eye and skin protective measures should be taken. 1 teaspoon of bleach to 2 cups of water is a good ratio.
Prior to carving:
- Put the pumpkin in the kitchen sink with a bit of bleach and water to scrub it down to remove organic nasty stuff like mud, mold and bugs.
- Remove and wipe the pumpkin down to dry thoroughly. It’s dangerous to carve a wet pumpkin.
- Drop your carving tools into the sink in the light bleach solution to sterilize them prior to use.
- Borax is a great alternative to bleach. Dilute a ½ cup to a quart of water. A natural fungicide and rot inhibiter.
- Using a mist bottle spray inside and all the carved areas with your borax solution.
- Keep the pumpkin cool. Spending the whole day in the hot sun (for us southerners, is a very bad idea.
- At first sign, or smell of decay, throw it out! Rot is mold and mold can make you bad sick. Not to mention, but, ok here’s the mention, Its nasty to have to move a gooey rotted pumpkin.